Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Debbie: 12/17/09 - Raise your voices !!!

So tonight we have back up singer auditions. Billy, who has been our back up singer, not only has a beautiful new born son, but also got a job promotion. So...he's put in his "two weeks notice" and that's why we're looking for the back up singer. Billy will always have a home on stage with Ten Year Vamp whenever he wants to....but, we need someone who can be with us more regularly. So...tonight we look for a voice. We've gotten a LOT of interest in the position, and we decided to have 2 'rounds'. The first will be an informal interview, where we get to know the person and they get to know us. If they're still interested in auditioning...and if we think they'll be a good fit for 10YV...then the 2nd 'round' will be the actual audition. We're only going to audition the people who are a great fit for 10YV. If someone doesn't get called back, it doesn't mean they weren't an amazing person...it just means there was someone else who was more ideal for what we need. I think our biggest issues is going to be availability.
No one realizes how time consuming being in a working band is. We have absolutely no lives. We can't go out with our friends and we barely ever see our family. When my best friend of 10 year bought her first house and was having a house warming party...I couldn't go. When my sister was getting married (and I was the maid of honor), I couldn't go dress shopping with her, I couldn't go to the bachelorette party or any other event besides the wedding. When my grandmother had her 80th birthday party, I was the only one not there. If we get sick...we can't call in sick for work...we just bring the "puke bucket" on stage with us. For the holidays (Thanksgiving, etc)...we always have a show the night before, so we're all so tired we can't enjoy the holiday. Or for those days that everyone loves to party...halloween, St Patricks day, New Year eve....we work. I'm not complaining cause I've gotten used to it (and so has my friends and family). I'm just saying I think the hard part of finding a back up singer is finding someone who is OK giving up all these things.
Also... if it's a girl we add (and I think it will be, because we're looking for a higher voice), then her boyfriend or husband or partner will need to be OK with her "being a rockstar". I can imagine that it's not easy dating someone in a band. We're never around, we're always at bars and clubs, all eyes are on us, we stay in hotels and are gone for days at a time, etc.. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we find someone who is up for all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment