Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Greg 9-16-09: "I'm going to do this..at loud volumes..in public..until I die..no matter what"


My Name is Gregory Nash,I reside in upstate New York. Over the years I've played in a very wide variety of bands, each with different styles and influences. This experience has led to a unique approach to the drumkit and to playing music in general. Among the artists I've recorded and toured with are Jeanne French(CBS), Soul Session, and Sirsy. I am currently the full time drummer for Ten Year Vamp, a popular female fronted modern rock band that tours the East Coast and Northeast constantly. We just released our debut CD and I'm incredibly proud of it. Playing with such talented musicians has also given me the opportunity to share the stage with such acts as Cheap Trick, Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Paramore, Blues Traveler, Collective Soul, Junior Walker, Susan Tedesci, John Waite and many others. I am also set to release an E.P for my original band THE PAIN, featuring Leo Curley of Biohazard on guitar and Bob Horvath on bass.

It took me years of playing many different styles and "driving the bus" for bands that span the genre spectrum. I am a hard rock drummer and always have been, this was solidified on my 8th birthday when I received the spectacularly packaged 'KISS Alive 2'. From the moment I heard the roar of the crowd and the opening chords of 'Detroit Rock City' it was clear what I needed to do with my life. I have worked a plethora of odd jobs; kitchen, painting, janitorial, ect all to fuel my true passion, playing and creating music. I would play with any band, anytime, anywhere. I've played in soul, jazz, metal, funk, reggae, alternative, folk, pop, blues, thrash, country, and of course rock bands, and I believe every drummer should try to experience playing as many styles as they can. That gives you the chance to apply these aspects to your own playing and help make your drumming more unique, thus making it truly YOUR OWN style.

Eventually I landed in a spot in which I can utilize all of my experience and concentrate it to my true niche and love; hard rock.I've been playing for 17 years and I've never been playing better, I have more passion than ever before. I've passed up incredible employment opportunities and financial advancements in order to stay loyal to my dreams of being a successful musician, I'm more driven than ever before because as I age I get to apply all the things I've learned over the years, and I'm surrounded by incredible and respectful musicians. I cannot stress how important it is to play with the RIGHT people, both musically and socially. If you are in a negative or limiting situation, with stagnant, dead-weight players, run, don't walk to a more positive situation.

To fill up my empty calendar dates I put together and play with tributes, to honor and recognize how much these bands influenced my life and career. I'm the drummer for tributes to Aerosmith, Kiss,Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin.

Over the summer of '08 I performed a series of dates on Van's Warped Tour with Blase Debris(Altercation records) which resulted in a full endorsement from Shine Custom drums and Stagg cymbals, (these cymbals are incredible, check em out) I also teach and can be found hosting the weekly open-mic night in my hometown of Colonie New York, when I'm not on the road with TEN YEAR VAMP or THE PAIN.

The main point I'm trying to convey is that if you love what you do and you have passion for playing music, don't let anyone or anything stand in your way, whether I'm rich or poor I will always have my music and creativity, the drumset provides an endless world of possibilities and can be an incredible source of comfort and inspiration. The only place I truly feel at home is behind the kit, and I would't give it up for anything in the world. As Nikka Costa, one of my favorite artists simply puts it "KEEP ON PUSHIN'"

"Gregory Nash's track record speaks for itself... endlessly versatile, contagiously dynamic, his unorthodox technical approach gives a mesmerizing weight to the staggering chops that have become his calling card. Watching Nash go to work on a 4-piece kit is like watching a decon foreman testing his equipment in preparation for the destruction of a sports arena. Gloriously inglorious." -Bill Ketzer, Metroland

No comments:

Post a Comment