Wednesday, August 19, 2009

8-19-2009 Greg: Influenza


8-19-2009 Greg: INFLUENZA
The first song I can recall ever hearing (besides lullabyes n such) is Frank Sinatra's "Let Me Try Again" blasting out of my parents room while I bounced around in the crib. I can still hear the strings clearly and my mom singing along with 'the voice' at the top of her lungs. Sinatra was always present in the house but what really influenced me at a young age is the music blairing from my 3 older brothers' rooms... this is the 70s, Ladies and Gentlemen,(dating myself), for this was a world where KISS roamed the earth as horror comic book heroes, Alice Cooper outdid the foursome all on his own with the spectacular 'Welcome to my Nightmare' touring stage show, the true master of theater and rock n roll......... Steven Tyler and Joe Perry were still on smack, and still writing great songs with no outside help (I really wish they'd relapse), Led Zeppelin were absolutely destroying every venue Peter Grant could book (and every hotel room as well), Mick and Keith were lamenting Taylors departure and breaking in 'the new boy' Ronnie Wood (he's still called 'the new boy' today, 33 years later). Stevie Wonder was making the greatest recordings of his career (in my opinion, of all time). E.L.P., Yes, and King Crimson were releasing masterpieces each vying for the progressive crown, the latter appropriately taking it IMHO. Judas Priest were finding their image and Black Sabbath were losing control of their batty frontman while RUSH were giving the finest performances of their career. The ladies were kicking ass as well, Carly, Joni, Carole, Aretha, Nina, Chaka, all making major impacts on female artists who would still influence me immensely today.


This is just a small example of the vibrant and exciting music scene that was the 70s and still my favorite period in popular music. The 80s were like kryptonite to artists like Stevie Wonder, Alice Cooper, and many more. I have to say I didn't enjoy any of the new MTV stuff and synthesiser music, I missed real drums and keys, and felt very little emotion or inspiration from any of the new age bands. I was barely pubescant and I knew I would always prefer 'the old stuff'. The main saving grace for me was the growing metal and thrash scene, bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Kreator, Overkill,and many more made up for the horrible failure that was MTV and gave us a break from pastel colors and brought it back to black. The 90s are known for grunge and modern alternative rock and I must admit it took a while for me to break the 'I only listen to old stuff' routine. I have a big appreciation for bands like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and although not a Nirvana fan at all, I really like the Foo Fighters. I developed a huge taste for female singers in this period (playing drums for Jeanne French didnt hurt). I am a huge fan of Tori Amos (over 1000 tori songs on my ipod) and I also rather enjoy Fiona Apple, Heather Nova, Nikka Costa, Concrete Blonde and many more. The more I age the wider my influences range and I appreciate being in a band with so many diverse influences. I think that all adds to the finished product. I also appreciate the respect I'm shown by Deb and Mark to make my own musical decisions be it tracking or live. I've never had that kind of mutual respect in a band. I'm usually handed a list of 'do nots' before a gig or recording session which ultimately hurts the performance. The case with Ten Year Vamp is the opposite and the result is the best drums Ive ever played and the best tracks I've ever layed.


Here are some of my favorite albums off the top of my lid.

Kiss-Alive
The Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street
Stevie Wonder-Songs in the Key of Life
Alice Cooper-Love it to Death
Frank Sinatra-Watertown
Tori Amos-Boys For Pele
Slayer-Reign in Blood
Megadeth-Peace Sells
E.L.P.-Tarkus
King Crimson-Red
Chick Corea Ackoustik Band-Alive
Return to Forever-Romantic Warrior
Iron Maiden-Killers
Judas Priest-Unleashed in the East
Yes-Tales From Topographic Oceans
Temptations-Ball of Confusion
Steely Dan-Aja
Sheryl Crow-The Globe Sessions
Jeff Buckley-Grace
Nikka Costa-Pebble to a Pearl
Prince-Musicology
Mick Jagger-Wandering Spirit
Black Sabbath-Sabotage
Stormtroopers of Death-Speak English or Die
Miles Davis-Bitches Brew
Mother Love Bone
Sacred Reich-Ignorance
Witchfynder General-Death Penalty
Aerosmith-Rock in a Hard Place
Ace Frehley-Ace Frehley 1978
Motley Crue-Too Fast For Love
The Police-Synchronicity
Jeff Beck-Wired
Barry Manilow-Live 197
Anthrax-Spreading The Disease
James Brown-Live at The Apollo 1968
Fastway-We Become One
Concrete Blonde-Walking in London
Dirty Rotten Imbeciles-Dealing With It
Led Zeppelin-Presence
Deep Purple-Machinehead
Camelot-soundtrack with Richard Harris
RUSH-Carress of Steel
Madonna-Like a Prayer
Styx-Pieces of Eight
Bill Withers-Live at Carnegie Hall
Bee Gees-Best of
Billy Joel-The Stranger
Elton John-Madman Across the Water
Wasp-Wasp
VoiVod-Dimension Hatross
Veruca Salt-American Thighs
Cheap Trick-Live at Budakon
Venom-Welcome to Hell
Triumph-Allied Forces

There's a few anyway,I also like classical, lotsa jazz and even a lil opera.
My lil Marianne is also a huge influence and inspiration, not to mention her mama Monica.

No comments:

Post a Comment